Sunday, May 30, 2010

Welcome aboard!

Happy Memorial Day Weekend. On your way out of town to celebrate the official kickoff of summer, you may have stopped at a convenience store/gas station to fill-up your vehicle, buy drinks, pick-up some ice, grab a few beers. And you may have dealt with someone like me.
I'm The Gas Nazi. I'm the guy behind the counter who rings-up your purchases, makes sure you're lined-up for the right kind of gas and the right amount, helps you out when things don't work right, and puts up with you when your credit card gets declined because you've already maxed it out, or when your gas doesn't get pumped as quickly as you think it should.
I'm the guy who gives you directions about how to get back on the freeway. I'm the guy who accepts the $12.82 in nickels, dimes and pennies you brought-in to pay for gas at 5 minutes before closing. I'm the guy who takes it when you scream and throw your maxed-out credit card across the counter at me.
And I do all this for just slightly above minimum-wage, if I'm lucky.
There are thousands of us in little convenience stores all across the country, taking the abuse of the American public every single day, 24/7/365. The workdays aren't always bad. Sometimes they're pretty good. Often they're memorable. Me and my co-workers do business with some real nice people. We also do business with some real assholes. Whatever goes wrong, it's usually not our fault, we're just the folks who get screamed at.
Most of us aren't dummies who couldn't find a job anywhere else. I was a newspaper reporter and editor for 20 years before I retired to do this. One guy I used to work with had a master's degree and was talking about going for a doctorate. If he could ever make enough money from counting-out change and mopping the floor.
This blog is not going to be a whine-fest. It's going to be my effort to work-out some of my job-related issues through the context of comedy. I've got some pretty wild stories I want to share with you.
Maybe, if I'm lucky, this will also give me a chance to brush-up on my human-relations skills. Because frankly, mine SUCK!

No comments: