Friday, March 1, 2013

Nice while it lasted....

Some nights I REALLY AM The Gas Nazi. I'm sure I was like that for a lot of Wednesday night, when it became obvious that my co-workers were being nice to me & split-up the work to give me a break -- for a week. But as of Wednesday night I was back to Eating Shit again.
Nobody gets it. Everybody else is mostly there just for a paycheck. And I'm back to doing more than my share.
I freaked-out about this for an hour or so -- about how I walked in at 5 p.m. Wednesday and the soda coolers were half-empty and the big beer cooler hadn't been stocked and the soda fountain was COMPLETELY OUT of ice and the restroom was trashed & the restroom garbage-can was stuffed full and the floors looked like crap and....
Basically it looked like nobody had done much in the store since I went home Sunday night.
As usual.
Then I rang-up a customer and after I had him locked-in for his gas purchase, he dumped a pocketful of change on the counter and asked if he could add that to the gas.
And I blew up. And then he blew up at me.
He asked what the hell was wrong with me. He said I was acting like a crazy man.
Which I probably was.
And it was probably a good thing for me to hear.
Since then I've been pretty much down-to-earth. Hearing that flattened me right out, just like hitting a "reset" button. So I didn't go nuts when my afternoon co-worker left Thursday at 6:10 p.m. after not even pricing half of the beer order. I didn't freak-out too much when my boss'es kids came in Thursday night at 12:05 a.m. to fill up their car -- five minutes after I'd made my after-closing Dash To The Restroom.
But I DID freak-out Wednesday night when another of my co-workers came into the store 5 minutes after my boss left and asked me what was wrong. So I TOLD her. And I'm sure that'll get back to the boss, because it's the second time I've yelled at her.
Again, might be time to look for a new job. Last night was WAY better, just because it wasn't my Monday anymore. And tonight should be OK because it's Friday, and they're usually pretty smooth.
I'll keep you posted on whether there will be any repercussions from all this yelling. Possibly there will be. Nobody seems to care what I think as long as I'm not complaining. Nobody cares how much work they leave for me as long as I don't start yelling about it. Some of my co-workers don't even know HALF the things they're supposed to be doing during a shift -- another sign of really solid training.
Anybody out there looking for a decent writer with 15 years of retail sales experience? Twenty years experience with newspaper writing? A real retirement job where I don't feel like I have to go out and re-shingle the roof almost every single day? Please respond below....

No comments: